.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Miscellaneous thoughts and ramblings
Thursday, February 03, 2005
 
bumper sticker overload
Galley Slaves has a bit about lefty bumper stickers on a next-door neighbor's car. I have a bit of that going on myself. Way back before the Iraq invasion, my KFPK-listening (KFPK is the so-cal option for people who think NPR is too conservative) neighbors slapped a "war is not the answer" sticker on their bumper.

I'm not a confrontational type by nature, so I put a sticker on my car that reads, "Sometimes war has to be the answer - it depends on the question."

A few days later they added a sticker: "You know what I mean."

Okay, so that didn't really happen. But it's true about the first sticker. They also have one that says something like "Work Harder, we need your tax dollars" - which strikes me as non-Leftist, in that it seems to be a dig against taxation...

Anyway, what I'm really interested in is the religious war waged via metallic bumper decals...

UPDATE: One of the commenters on the galley slaves post links to this hilarious, must-see-right-away guide to bumper stickers.
Comments:
Very very funny. ball-and-chain recently saw a doozy bumper sticker that I've been bugging her to comment about, but she keeps making up excuses like "I'm busy raising four children."

Here are some others that make me want to strangle the occupant:

Question Authority This is vintage 70s and is only rarely sighted anymore. It's a classic of rebellion for it's own sake because it's so assertive yet understated. It doesn't mean "Question Authority" because in an open society that's done all the time. Questioning authority usually goes like this:
"Can I see your badge?"
"Sure."
"Why are you arresting me?"
"For urinating in public."
What the sticker really means is defy authority. When that authority is derived from free citizens electing their representatives to formulate reasonable laws, what it really advocates is defying me, the citizen. So the reply to the bumper sticker should be "Question authority all you want, but pay attention to the answer."

Every Child A Wanted Child Now, I'm pro-choice, but I'm much more alienated by the pro-choice movement than the pro-life movement. "Every Child A Wanted Child" is as good an argument for abortion, as "Every Child a Well-Fed Child" is an argument for killing hungry kids.

There are more, but, alas, I must work.
 
There was one at www.modernhumorist.com a while back that said, "Free Tibet (with purchase of second Tibet of greater or equal value)" - I don't know if it was a real sticker or just an image they created for the site...

I saw a bizarre one a few years back - it read "Adoption destroys families" - not abortion, which I thought it said at first, but adoption. The good part was I was able to do a real-life double-take. If only I had been drinking something, I could have done a spit-take!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Powered by Blogger