.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Miscellaneous thoughts and ramblings
Friday, February 18, 2005
 
Satan’s Fax Machine
Last week (I don’t remember the day) ball-and-chain and I were awakened by our phone ringing at around 3 am. We waited for voice mail to pick up after the fourth ring and tried to go back to sleep. A minute later the phone rings again, which makes us both worried, because maybe something horrible happened and someone is actually trying to get a hold of us. I answer the phone in a croaky voice appropriate for that hour. It’s the electronic mating chirps of a fax machine (or I suppose a dial-up modem, but that seems less likely). Oh, no! Some yahoo is trying to fax us. We have a fax machine, but on a separate dedicated phone number. So some fax machine in the great big world was trying to fax our voice line in the middle of the night, and of course it was persistent. It kept calling back no matter how many times I answered and hung up. Finally, we decided to keep letting voice mail answer, and after a few more calls, the evil fax machine relented.

We don’t have Caller ID, so I have no clue where this fax is. I tried *69 (the feature that lets you call the number that called you most recently) but I just got a fax machine.

We went back to sleep and forgot about the whole thing until last night when it happened again. I was already having a bad night’s sleep since one of my kids just infected me with the latest malady that’s been going around, and this just added insult to sleep loss. So now I’m exhausted and fuzzy-brained. Fortunately, all I do all day is make decisions about people’s health. Oh, and blog.

Where was I? Oh, yeah. So we have no clue what to do about this faxing. We might be on some distribution list that will call us weekly until the end of days and wake us up every Thursday night. It doesn’t even seem malicious. It’s probably some business that made a typo in a fax number. How do we find them and ask them to stop? Call the phone company? Call the FBI? Call the National Registry of Incredibly Annoying but Irreparable Errors?

Any suggestions will be welcomed.

If the weather allows, my son and I are going camping Sunday and Monday, so I will out of the Coffeehouse for a little while. I’m sure Godby will pick up the slack.

Have a good weekend, Coffeehousers! Shabbat shalom, Ralphie.
Comments:
Wow, that sounds really creepy. You might want to consider calling your phone company and letting them know about this problem. Maybe they'll know what to do.
 
I don't think it's creepy. It's probably just a mistake. Businesses send each other automated faxes at night all the time. If it was a person, that would be creepy. If it was someone callng and imitating a ghost so that ball-and-chain and I would get scared and sell the amusement park at a loss, so that the caller could buy it cheaply and make a fortune, and he would get away with it too if it wasn't for Scooby Doo and his meddling friends, that would be creepy. Zoinks!
 
One suggestion: Hook up a fax machine to the phone line for a night (assuming these things are still coming in), and set it to manual receive. If you answer the phone (using the fax machine's handset), hit the send/receive button, and receive the fax. They usually have a number to call to get taken off the list. It's usually an automated thing where you simply enter your phone number and hit pound.

Alternatively, and possibly in addition, simply turn off your ringer at night. You're a doctor, so I'm sure you have a pager. If somebody REALLY needs to reach you, they should have your pager number. Otherwise, it can wait until morning when the ringers are on.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Powered by Blogger