.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Miscellaneous thoughts and ramblings
Wednesday, February 23, 2005
 
No good deed goes unpunished
There is some sort of ad against antisemitism that features, among others, rap mogul Russell Simmons (second item in the link above). The ADL is complaining that Simmons defends Farrakhan, who is himself something of a Jew hater. I say, why publicly knock a man if he's helping out? You could contact him in private and say that if he's really against Jew hating he could tone it down on the Nation of Islam front.

But my real question is - where are they running these ads? In France, or, say, the Palestinian Authority, hopefully?
Comments:
Probably during ADL conferences...
 
Which day?
 
Gindy: My wife and I long ago stopped supporting the ADL. Their whole reason for being is to inflate the perception of the existence of Jew hatred so that they can have a reason to exist to combat Jew hatred. Their work in the US may be marginally beneficial where Jew hatred is a minor issue. They should be shipped to France and Saudi Arabia.
 
I don't think they consciously inflate the perception of Jew hatred - I just think that if you carry around a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail.

And I think Farrakhan is a bona fide Jew hater. But I still don't see why Russell Simmons should be condemned for participating in a Fight Jew Hatred ad...

Regarding the Bill O'Reilly comment - someone was complaining about Christmas decorations or something and he said if you want to be somewhere without Christmas decorations you should go to Israel. I really don't think it was a "Hey, Jew, go back to Israel!" kind of thing, as it was portrayed by the ADL. I think the caller identified himself as Jewish - where should O'Reilly tell him to go to avoid Christmas cheer, Saudi Arabia (where they have neither Christmas decorations nor Jews)?
 
Reminds me of a situation in my own college, which is Jesuit, and in which after Thanksgiving, a two-inch cross had to be taken off the wall because two professors were offended by it. They were neither Jewish nor atheist...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Powered by Blogger