.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Miscellaneous thoughts and ramblings
Friday, January 14, 2005
 
Martin Luther King's Heir

"the poverty pimps and victim pimps keep telling the victims to stay where they are, 'You can't get up, you can't do this, you can't do that.' ... I'm telling you, you better get up."


Dr. Cosby's been spending more and more time speaking his mind to impoverished, inner-city black communities over the past couple of years. His no-nonsense message is making headlines and creating waves throughout the black-victimhood-promoting establishment. The quote above comes from a speech he delivered yesterday in Detroit. Bravo!

Dr. King delivered freedom from institutionalized oppression to American blacks. Finally, we have a high-profile, charismatic individual to deliver the message that freedom without personal responsibility has become its own prison. That for King's vision of "free at last" to become reality, impoverished, inner-city American blacks must stand up out of the victimhood-culture quagmire, and assume control over their behavior, and over the collective behavior of their communities.

Here's a link to an earlier speech (I'm hoping the entire Detroit speech will be posted soon):

http://www.eightcitiesmap.com/transcript_bc.htm

Update: Added items in red italics to clarify about and to whom Dr. Cosby was speaking.

Comments:
Thanks for the comment AOL. I was probably a bit hasty in my post by not clarifying to whom Dr. Cosby is referring. I had assumed it would be clear, given Cosby's history. Considering that Cosby ran a decade-long iconic television show situated around an upper middle class black family in which the father was a doctor, the mother was a lawyer, and the children went to top-notch universities, I doubt that he needs a lecture on the differences between inner city blacks living in crime infested neighborhoods and the great number of successful black families living in America.

I'll attempt to clarify my own words in an edit to the post, but Cosby knows to whom he is speaking and I believe those listening to him speak know whether they're the intended target.

I'll say also, that I'm pretty sure you could discern from Cosby's speech to whom he was addressing his comments. There's a pretty large elephant in the living room here, and I think it's a bit dangerous to nitpick. Does Bill Cosby, a black American whose Philadelphia up-bringing didn't include silver spoons, really need to clarify: "THAT elephant"? Does he need to preface his remarks by stating the obvious?
 
None taken. Apologies for being a bit abrupt in my response.

I very much understand what you're saying. But, I also feel that oversensitivity on the part of some has been hindering progress to some extent. While I'm sympathetic to people who don't want to be painted with Cosby's broad brush, I think that yelling foul about words that were clearly not intended for them is counterproductive to the ultimate objective we should all share: ending the chronic poverty, crime, violence, fatherless families etc. that has existed in our inner cities for decades.

What Cosby is saying is important. Rather than acknowledge this, and working with him to push solutions, people are being reflexively defensive where no offense was intended. This undermines his efforts, and in doing so risks derailing them. I don't see that anyone benefits from that.
 
Strong work Nomad. Maybe he can save the Democratic party from itself. The great thing is that he is not a conservative politically and he speaks the truth, so maybe the liberals will listen to him.

Monday one of us should post something in honor of MLK day. Flaws and all, he was a great American. If I have some time, I'll work on it.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Powered by Blogger