.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Miscellaneous thoughts and ramblings
Tuesday, January 25, 2005
 
Israeli Army to disband religious-only hesder units by March
This story does not say the program is being dismantled altogether, as Yossi Klein-Halevi has warned. It's just that, for the military portion of service, they will be integrated into regular units. I'm a little on the fence on this one, but I think I'll come down on the agreement side. I had a rabbi in Israel who had served in a regular unit - I think it's good for all parties involved.

This I don't buy, however:

"Asked whether it is not a coincidence that the decision comes at a time when many in the religious community call on soldiers to disobey evacuation orders during disengagement -scheduled for summer 2005 - Stern said the two matters are not related. "
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Powered by Blogger